Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Smokin' Butt

I really cherish my free time, and I am fortunate to have quite a bit of it at my disposal these days.  I love that I can wake up every morning without an alarm clock.  I love that Ernesto and I can enjoy our cof cof (coffee) in the morning for a couple hours while lounging and browsing online, maybe even watching a movie or a couple episodes of Entourage (our latest HBO craze).  Inevitably, Neto will turn to me and ask, "what do you want to do today?" 

I know this is all about to change with the Christmas Lights, but let me revel in it now please.
Right now there isn't a huge difference between my weekdays and weekends, and there won't be when we get busy either.  Working.  7 days a week.  We are excited for the craziness.  Bring it on!

Although we did go to the movies (The Social Network, the story of how Facebook got started) the highlight of our weekend was food.  Smoked Pork...Tim Style!

My brother is the king of smoking.  My dad has used his recipe many times with great success, and this is our second time.  Yes, it is a repeater.  The process is not hard, but the main ingredient is patience.   The whole process takes about 10 hours.

Ideally the butt should be in the smoker for 8 hours, which is why it is usually done overnight.   As with most things, Ernesto was not concerned with the time and started smoking the butt at 6pm.  "Dinner should be ready at 3am!" he announced.

Directions for Smokin' Butt
Pick your cut of meat.  We chose a 5lb pork butt and a rack of beef ribs. 

Tim's Smoked Meat Rub
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Cumin
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper

Ernesto placed the spices into a jar so we could keep any extra, and it looked like an elementary art project. Generously rub this rub all over.
HICKORY WOODCHIPS SOAK IN WATER





PORK BUTT COVERED IN "THE RUB"
RUBBED BEEF RIBS
You can buy smoking wood chips or if you have logs that will work perfectly. Once the fire is hot, (and don't forget, you'll need to keep it that way for the next 8 hours*) place the meat in the smoker.  Add a bowl of water for moisture and close the lid.  That is it! 
The pork should pull apart very easily when done.  I made a delicious cole slaw to go on our sandwiches too.  It was a mix of this recipe and this one.   Any other questions, you will have to call my brother, he is the expert! 

* The meat will probably need some oven time after the smoking. Cover it in foil and set oven to 200 for  a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails