Thursday, March 08, 2012

Fluffy Chandelier for the Nursery {a how-to}

Well, I did it! I finished a project completely!  I have so many different ones going on, and many are only half done.  On march 4th, I decided to March forth and so far I am on a roll.  Many project updates coming your way!

If you are a subscriber to Houzz you may have seen Nicole's  pendant light made out of coffee filters.   Yes, you read that right.  Coffee filters.  I bookmarked it knowing I had to recreate it.   Im a total copy cat.  I hope Nicole knows that old phrase "Imitation is the best form of flattery." 

At first I thought maybe I would put this in the dining room, but after we painted the stripes in the nursery, I thought it would be the perfect spot.  Yes, yes it is!  It's totally awesome right?
Believe it or not, this beauty was really easy to make.  It took me roughly 5 hours [over 3 days] to put it together and cost me less than $25! 

Here is what you will need:
One paper lantern (Mine was a 15.5" from World Market for $6.99)
800 flat bottom coffee filters (I bought Kroger brand -200 pk for $1.29)
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks (for gun)

Here are the simple directions:
Glue the filters on the paper lantern.

Ok, ok...I'll be a little more specific.  Put your hand around the filter with the bottom facing up.  Add a drop of the hot glue and attached it to the lantern.  That.  Is.  It.
 Start wherever you want on the lantern, just place the filters close together.  You want them to be scrunched in pretty tightly.
The process starts out slow, but moves quickly once you get into a groove. 
When you see progress you push on.

I bought a hard wire kit for $12.99 (also at World Market) and my dad hooked it up in less than 5 minutes.  The glow the light gives off is amazing!
I am now reconsidering buying a huge drum shade pendant for the dining area and making one of these...but in a color! Ombre maybe?! Oh that would look so cool!
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. The ceiling, armoire and fluffy chandelier are fanciful and fun! What a nice way for a baby to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice! so glad I came across this

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails