Friday, July 30, 2010

Pollo Asado y Pico de Gallo

Ernesto and I have been in San Diego for the last month staying with mis suegros.  The summer weather here has been strange.  It's not sunny and warm everyday like it usually is, but I am happy to be out of the GA humidity.  We have been hiking, biking, kayaking, lobster eating in Mexico, watching horse races, and of course cooking lots of Mexican food. 

Although I haven't posted since last month, do not fear!  I have several great recipes to share with you on VLC.   When mi suegra is cooking, I have to be right there with a pen and paper to capture everything.  She cooks from memory so I am constantly asking questions, "What did you just add there? How much of that?"  I really appreciate her taking the time to pass these recipes on to me [and you]. 

On some nights we cook dinner and give everyone else the night off.  Back in Atlanta, Ernesto got addicted to grilling whole chickens.  
It's so simple too.  You will just need a whole chicken, five cloves of garlic (chopped), olive oil and salt and pepper.  Rub oil on outside of chicken and under skin.  Rub garlic under skin.
Place chicken on hot grill for 45 minutes, flipping it over several times.  
Every time this chicken comes out flavorful and so juicy. 
One chicken does not a meal make? Agreed.
My favorite way to serve this, is to make a quick pico de gallo to go on top and refried beans on the side.

Pico de Gallo
5 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
4 serrano peppers, chopped (less if you don't like it spicy)
handful of cilantro, chopped
1 squeeze of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
Pico de gallo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails