Thursday, July 02, 2009

Seaport Village & City Tour via Bicicleta

The latest bike ride included a tour of San Diego.   Actually a huge loop.  Ernesto was the guide and Jordi (Neto's brother-in-law's cousin who was visiting from Durango, Mexico) and I followed the native through different roads connecting Bonita, a southern suburb of SD and downtown.   I wish I could tell you the route we took, but alas, I was only a follower.  It was a wonderful ride though.  I was happy when we entered Seaport Village, right on the edge of downtown.   
"Seaport Village is built on landfill over Punta de los Muertos (Point of the Dead) where the Spanish expedition of 1782 buried those who had died of scurvy. In later years it was a railroad yard where goods and other products were unloaded from ships and loaded aboard trains for shipment east. Seaport Village broke ground in 1978 and opened in 1980." (via Seaport Village)  Over dead bodies? What?  I just learned that, but trust me,  you will not get the creeps here!  Seaport Village is a waterfront shopping, dining and entertainment complex with 54 one-of-a kind shops and 17 restaurants.  My favorite store:  The Tile Shop Oh, how I dream of a talavera tile kitchen.Although we just passed through the village on our bikes this time, I have eaten here before.  If you would like great seafood  and good draft beer in a unique old building that sits over the water, head for Harbor House.
Not too far down the boardwalk is the infamous Star of India, the world's oldest active ship!  This boat also houses the  Maritime Museum of San Diego which has a worldwide reputation for restoring, maintaining and operating historic vessels.  The Star of India has quite an interesting history, dating back to 1863.
Our bike tour continued as we loaded them onto the Coronado Ferry  which took us across the San Diego Bay.  To Coronado it leaves every hour on the hour.  (from Coronado on the half hour)  The ferry takes all of 10 minutes and cost only $3.25.  
The San Diego skyline is so beautiful looking from Coronado.  
From Coronado, it took us 2 hours to reach Ernesto's parents house on our bikes, and we were going fast.  We flew down the Silver Strand Trail and then through Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, National City and back to Bonita.  This was no leisurely ride for me, I was peddling my hardest to keep up with 2 guys.  I did a damn good job too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails