Wednesday, October 14, 2015


Mi Querida Paloma,
Bienvenida a nuestra familia mi amor!!! You are already one week old! I still can not believe you are a little girl. Your papi thought you were a girl, but the whole time I was pregnant I was telling myself (and everyone else) "I'm sure its a boy." I think I must have been mentally preparing for NOT getting a girl, and I'm actually glad I did that because you were literally the BIGGEST SURPRISE OF MY LIFE. I cried hysterically when you were born.

(A photographer came by the hospital room the day after your were born and arranged you in the sheets for the above pictures. I snapped these with my own camera.)
We brought you home Monday night (after just two nights in the hospital). You passed all of your tests, and my doctor saw that my incision was healing fine, so she released us. She knew I was ready to take you home....I had been in the hospital for 10 nights straight at that point. That could explain the mini-breakdown that I had when Ernesto picked me up. The hospital took so long to release me (I was waiting dressed to leave for 4 hours!) and then I HAD to be wheeled out to the car, and the wheelchair person took almost 30 minutes to come get me. I was so angry....that I cried. Finally a nurse apologized and took me down herself. I cried some more to your papi and he made everything better with hugs and kisses. You will see, your papi will shower you with kisses too. He is very affectionate.
The boys were not sleeping when we brought you home. They were sooooo excited. "Did you bring the baby home mami?" Mateo asked as I got out of the car. All the neighbors were outside and congratulated us.
Tus hermanos had so many questions about you. They wanted to touch your hands and feet and kiss your head and even though we went over the umbilical cord in the hospital, mami explained it again.
We put your little bassinet at the foot of our bed. (on the bed) I have the base, but I want to paint it a fresh color for you before papi puts it together.
You slept really well your first night at home and in the morning, the boys were again so excited to see you. Mateo wanted you to lay by him and watch Paw Patrol.
Your mami has been an emotional wreck this month week, I can't even tell you how many times I cried, but they were mostly tears of joy. You have slept peacefully through EVERYTHING, not giving your mama anything to worry about. You were awake for no more than 3 hours the whole week. Seriously.
You are so dainty and beautiful. You have long little fingers, and perfect little toes. Your nose is so adorable and I think you have Marcelo's big lips. You don't have eyelashes or eyebrows yet, but if you happen to get Mateo's long lashes, you are going to be the luckiest girl alive.
You have a full head of dark hair, and although your eyes only stay open for minutes at a time, I can see they are blue right now. What will happen with you? Same as your brothers? Light hair and hazel eyes? It's so exciting!
You were eating well from the beginning, but in short spurts. You had a hard time staying awake. The nurses told me you would be extra sleepy being 4 weeks early. I was not sure you were getting had dirty diapers but maybe not frequent enough.
By day 3 my milk came-a-rushing in and all of a sudden I had porn-star boobs. BOOM! You are eating about every three hours but I am still engorged.
I know you will catch up to my supply very soon, but sleeping seems to be a priority for you. In the mean time though, I have stored up several bags of excess milk in the freezer, which will be handy.

Your first morning home found us in the most unlikely place. The passport office.
For months before your appearance, your papi had a trip to Mexico planned with the guys in his family. Your tio Tavo arranged everything. Your papi just had to fly there. Well with all of my low fluid issues and your early arrival, we thought that trip was out the window. Until.......the day after you were born. I was sitting in the hospital thinking....hmmm if your papi could take your hermanos to Mexico with him, you and I could relax and cuddle for 4 days straight with no interruptions.
Papi thought that was a good idea too, but unfortunately, Marcelo did not have his passport yet. So the morning after we arrived home, you had your first field trip downtown. I didn't want to go, but it had to be done. (both parents must accompany the child to apply for it.) $180 dollars and 24 hours later the passport was in our hands and Super Papi packed little suitcases for your brothers and they got the last three seats on Thursday morning flight to Cabo San Lucas.
On Wednesday you got to meet your grandma and Grandpa. It was a short visit. They had been in a couple different cities for the last couple weeks and they stopped just to meet you on their way home from Florida. It was love at first sight. They could believe how tiny and perfect you are.
Thursday morning we went for your first check-up at the doctor (5 days old). You weighed 5lbs and 9oz, just 1.5 oz less than when you were born. That was great news. However, then the doctor said that you look a little jaundice and we would need to get blood drawn to tell the level. I know that jaundice is controllable and not a big deal when taken care of promptly, but it was just ONE. MORE. THING. Your mami burst into tears. The doctor hugged me saying everything was going to be fine.
She ordered a bili light for you to sleep on and I was to just make sure you are eating enough. (ie: at least 6-8 poopy /pee pee diapers a day) She suggested after breastfeeding, pump just a couple more ounces and give it to you in a bottle to make sure you are getting extra. "It will be cleared up in a couple days, don't worry." Easier said than done.
I was a wreck and went next door to the lab where they proceeded to prick your little heel and squeeze the blood out. You let out a horrible scream and mami cried right along with you. Mami cried to anyone and everyone who talked to her.
Your papi y hermanos had left that morning and your grandparents left before I got home from the hospital. We were all alone. Cry cry cry. After the bili light was delivered to our house that afternoon though, I felt much better. In fact, it was so nice being alone with you. We cuddled, skin-on-skin and stayed in bed the rest of the day. You seemed very comfortable on the bili light and slept soundly beside mami.
Although it did not get hot, you seemed so cozy next to it. I put it in your car seat and you were happily sleeping for hours.
We followed doctors orders and you drank a little extra breast milk from a bottle at each feeding, and I even set your swing in the window for some indirect sunlight exposure.
Earlier today, just 24 hours after our doctor appointment we were back in the lab getting your heel pricked again to make sure the jaundice was decreasing...and it took a big jump down (from 14.5 to 11) thank god! The doctor said since it was such a big jump in a day that it was on it's way down and I could discontinue the bili light. I was so relived. Doc said it wouldn't hurt to leave the light on you over the weekend, so I will.
We could start our relaxing girls weekend with no worries. Before heading home, I thought I would introduce you to my favorite store TJMaxx. You LOVED it! Just like mami, you were content to stroll through each isle. Mami really wanted to buy you something...and something for herself too. I found you the cutest little embroidered [Mexican style] shirt. Also a Aden + Anais bib. Mami found an awesome velvet pillow, a delicious sandalwood candle, watercolor thank you cards...
...and some new pajamas. Oh and by the way, your mami lost 15 pounds in 5 days. So crazy!
Now that I have these new pijamas, my new candle, and YOU, my beautiful Paloma, I plan on relaxing and cuddling and kissing you in bed and ALL. WEEKEND.
I am so in love with you mamacita,
tu mami

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!


Related Posts with Thumbnails