Friday, January 09, 2009

Earthquake in San Jose again YIKES!

I arrived safe and sound back to San Jose (in first class...thank you Delta) Thursday night. Before leaving I spoke with my parents and they told me there was an earthquake in San Jose that day. When I walked into my apartment I was expecting to see the mess. WOW! This one was must have been scary to experience! People died. I read 5, but Im sure they have reported more by now. A TV would be helpful in this situation.

"The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake measured 6.1 on the moment magnitude scale. The quake, which hit at 1:21 pm on Thursday some 35 kilometers (22 miles) northwest of the capital, shook water out of swimming pools and witnesses said they had not felt such a strong tremor in 30 years. It was felt across the Central American country and also in neighboring Nicaragua, officials and locals said. San Jose residents reported broken windows, cracks in buildings, ceilings and roads. Public buildings, were evacuated, and many people ran onto the streets of the capital."

This is the built in book shelf when you walk in the door. Books and CD were everywhere.

Im sure being on the 3rd floor of a 4 story building is not the best spot during an earthquake. There is a built in china cabinet, and all the wine glasses but 3 were shattered on the floor. Luckily the heavier pottery was ok. Kitchen cabinets were flung open with contents on the floor, picture frames off the wall....CRAZY!

The Habitat office was equally as torn up. We spent the morning straightening up, helping each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails