Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Nautical Wedding in Long Island NY

Well, I finally got my camera back in the mail (thanks Roman!) from our NY trip.   I have to share this wedding with you.  It was so unique.  Getting married on a boat?  Inviting only your closest friends and family? What a novel idea, why didn't I think of that?  Don't get me wrong,  I think my wedding was really nice too, but it was 9 years ago and I have seen so many good ideas since then.  I wasn't as interested in planning the little details of my wedding back then.  (Good thing my mom was, thanks again to my parents)  

When I was in Ohio earlier this month, I was looking around my moms craft room and saw a hat box.  When I opened it, I was so happy to see this bright yellow vintage hat.  My mom wore it years ago, and I was so excited to give it life again.....on a big sailboat wedding!
The boat was docked in Greenport, NY.  A cute little port town in Long Island, about  a 90 minute drive from the city. 
 The beast was called Mystic Whaler.  It weighs over 100 tons and is 83 feet long.   It can accommodate up to 65 guests or 34 for overnight trips.  I would not recommend if you stay over if you are claustrophobic as the sleeping quarters are very small.

Roman and Ernesto became friends in a chemistry lab class at OSU.   He came to our wedding and was actually at Ernesto's graduation party where he proposed to me as well.  They keep up with each other and we got to know the bride Tanya on our trip together to Mexico a couple years ago .   

Being the planner that he is, Roman gave everyone something to do during the 4 hour boat ride.  Here, everyone takes a spot on the "lines" to pull the 3000 sq ft masts up.  
He also planned a little game of skits, breaking everyone to 3 groups and giving them a scenario to act out.  The major roles being the bride and groom.  They just sat back and watched everyone making fun of them.  It was quite funny. 
The boat was set up with this island in the middle where delicious hors d'oeuvres were at your finger tips with Sangria to wash it down.  Add a few bouquets of flowers and this is all that was needed to decorate the perfect venue for a wedding. 
When the ceremony started, everyone gathered around the bride and groom.  There were only 30-40 people on the boat, so it was very intimate.  
Although the officiator spoke English, most of the guests spoke Russian.  There were several toasts given to the couple that seemed to be entertaining.  I just laughed when everyone else did. 
 When they were officially man and wife, the techno music was turned up loud.
Towards the end of the boat ride, the couple and many of the guests changed into bathing suits and jumped off the boat.  It was really cool. 

Even though the boat ride came to an end around 8pm, the party wasn't even close to being over.  The reception carried on until midnight with dinner, music and dancing.  At midnight almost everyone went to the beach to hang out and didn't return until 6am.  I wasn't feeling up to par for an all-nighter after my reunion with Michelle the night before.  I know, loser!  Anyway, it was a great time and probably the coolest wedding I have ever been too.  Thanks for including us in your celebration Roman and Tanya!

3 comments:

  1. You can make your wedding day special and more interesting. A good wedding will not only make your guests feel great but also give the bride and groom an unforgettable experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elated to know about this nautical destination wedding. Few months ago, I arranged my sister’s ring ceremony at one of grand Seattle venues. Hired a renowned party DJ service and he played wonderful music to make this event memorable.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails