Saturday, August 21, 2010

I Made a Peck of Pickled Peppers!

Besides great memories, I came home from my Ohio trip with a big bag of hot peppers fresh from the garden.  My uncle said they were called "salsa peppers."  We used them for popcorn, but realized that we weren't going to use them fast enough.  Earlier in the summer, we picked up a dozen brand new canning jars at a yard sale.  Ernesto suggested pickling the peppers. 
When I googled "pickling peppers"  I recognized David Lebovitz's site at the top.  David is an american pastry chef and author living in Paris.   His blog is hilarious and the recipes/photos are phenomenal.  We have made his carnitas several times. The pickled pepper recipe he posted was so easy I decided I would give it a try.  
Ernesto picked up some pickling cucumbers at the farmers market and I add them with the peppers which I thought would be delicious.  I always loved the homemade pickles and peppers my mom made when I was growing up.  I was anxious to try it myself. 
The recipe was very simple.   I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen:
vinegar, water, sugar, salt bay leaves, coriander seeds, black peppercorns and garlic.  
You have to wait at least one week before they are ready.  So yesterday we opened one jar, a mixed pepper and cucumber jar.  

 They were so delicious that we ate the whole jar at once.   Later we opened a jar with just peppers.  They are crunchy, full of flavor and hot as hell!  I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails