Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jalapenos: Stuffed and Grilled!

I didn't always eat spicy foods.  I remember my dad and grandmother loved spicy foods.  My mom grew hot peppers in her garden every year and my dad would sweat while eating them.  Sliced, seeds removed and salted.  I don't know why I never gave spicy a chance back then.  

If you say, "I can't do spicy" I say, "yes you can!"  

A tolerance to spicy foods is built up over time.  I promise you, that when I met Ernesto 11 years ago, I was not eating habanero salsas.  But he kept feeding me, and feeding me. There was no way to avoid spicy.  I didn't want to either.  Some say that burn is addictive, and I concur.  I urge you to try getting addicted.  Not only do "they" say that spicy foods are good for your heart, improving circulation, and aid with digestion,  this article  even suggests that it is a "mood lifter." 

I'm just saying.... my husband is the least moody person I have ever met and at the same eats more spice that anyone I have ever met.  A coincidence?  I think not. 

If you are not convinced, then let me tell you the number one reason to start eating spicy foods.  The TASTE.  They are delicious!  

Back in June we saw Paula Deen  making grilled jalapeno poppers on Food Network.  Last Sunday at the weekly Espinoza cookout, Ernesto tried Paula's recipe, substituting the monterry jack cheese for mozzerella.  We came away with some good pictures, but more importantly some tips on making this recipe even better/easier.  

Stuffed and Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Adapted from Paula Deen

8-10 medium jalapenos, splice pepper from on side and remove seeds and veins. 
mozzarella cheese, cut into strips the same length as peppers
5-6 pieces of bacon, fried and chopped into small piecesThe pictures here follow Paula Deen's directions, which you are free to try.  However, we have already tested this for you, and found that cooking the bacon on the stove, chopping and stuffing it into the peppers with the cheese before grilling yielded a much more functional appetizer.   After stuffing the peppers  grill until pepper is tender.  Trust me, these pics look good, but eating them wasn't as good looking.  (Bacon comes of on the first bite!)  Still these peppers were delicious and worth the effort. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious!! Have you tried the baked version with green onions or chives mixed in to cream cheese? --> http://www.inspiredtaste.net/14284/ridiculously-easy-jalapeno-poppers/
    When I did it, I used the lower calorie cream cheese and low sodium bacon. I ate the whole batch (6 whole peppers, about 480 calories for the whole batch). Aftward, I just had this "happy high" like I had taken a dose of anti-depressants that actually worked! So, that's my anecdotal evidence of jalepenos being a mood lifter. Now, I've been adding them to almost everything! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails