Friday, October 29, 2010

New Couch: Out with the Old, In with the New

Out with the OLD in with the NEW [to me]!
A Year ago, when we moved back to Atlanta, we needed a couch.  We had a beautifully worn brown leather couch in our house before we moved to Costa Rica, and asked Brrrian  to couch sit for us.  Needless to say, he did not want to give back to us.  Anyhoo, Ernesto came home with this couch that he found on Craigslist.
For the record, I never liked it, but he argued that we would need a pull out bed for guests and I concurred.  Yes, it would be convenient and functional.  I agreed, that is, until the night our first guest arrived and we pulled out the wafer thin mattress.  (If he wouldn't have been so drunk, I never would have let him sleep there)  No one has slept there since.  Ok, functionality was gone, style was never there... it was time.....I had to get rid of it. 

I started the search [months ago].  I wanted clean lines.  I wanted Mad Men, but newer.  Like everything in my life,  nothing is set in stone.  When a new idea comes along, the others are out the window.  And when I stumbled upon this antique couch that needed a full blown redo, that is exactly what happened.

I thought this could be our main couch.  Stupid girl.

After starting the upholstery project I came to the realization that this was not going to be done anytime soon.  Much to Ernesto's dismay, I continued the search.  I prevailed.  I acquired another couch from Craigslist last week.  This down filled sleek mid-century modern style couch looks great in our place and was only $125.  I love it!
 
It is only 2 years old, yet has the mid century shape I was looking for.  It's very sturdy and very comfortable too.  My first feather filled couch, and I don't think there is any turning back.  Although the upholstery is not my favorite,  I don't hate it. (but is does give me another reason to frequent the discount fabric stores)
I sold the ugly sofa bed on Craigslist in a couple days for $35. Done.  I have  promised Neto that I will stop  my CL searching obsession now that I have 2 couches and my kitty.  But it won't stop.  Now I have a wood dresser/credenza/buffet on the brain...painted in a bright yellow lacquer...or wing back chairs in turquoise linen with white piping.  Ugh! Boy oh boy do we need a house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails