Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11

It's hard to believe 10 years have gone by since the attacks.  It will forever be ingrained in my brain what I was doing when the planes crashed into the twin towers September 11. 2001.  Im sure it is the same for you.

Ernesto and I were newlyweds and had been living in Atlanta just under a year.  We were renting an apartment in Midtown, and sharing just one car.  I was driving Ernesto to work at 8:45 and we heard on the radio that a "small commuter plane" had hit one of the towers.  What?  That is crazy!
My next stop was to go running at Piedmont Park, I parked the car, but could not tear myself away from the radio.  When they determined there were two planes and that they were 757's I raced home to turn on the TV.  I was glued there for the next 5 hours. 

I was working in the Delta Crown Rooms (International Terminal) at the time and my shift started at 3pm.  The trains were not running, and walking through the airport was the eeriest feeling I have ever had.  Normally bustling with thousands of passengers, the whole airport was a ghost town.  Silence.

Of course we were all sent home.  The airport was closed, planes were not flying and we had no clue when this would change.  

Nothing was more important than sitting in front of the TV watching all of the disturbing footage;  This continued for the next few days.  I felt so much empathy for all the families, friends and loved ones of all effected.  At the same time I felt so grateful for my family.

As I sit here this morning watching the memorial going on in NYC,  I again feel empathy.  I don't know how anyone could get over such a tragedy, but I hope that they have found peace. 

Do you remember where you were or what you were doing when you heard the news?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails