Thursday, September 15, 2011

External Cephalic Version Procedure on Breech Baby

I was a little leery of the whole version process.  Until last week, I had never even heard of this procedure.  I had no idea that a doctor could actually turn a baby externally.

I found out the little Mexi-mouth was [Frank] breech last week, and when my doc recommended a version I raced home to google it.  After watching one video on YouTube, I didn't think it looked so bad.  Of course there were comments from many woman about the pain involved with it, but I decided to give it a try.  I would say I have a fairly high pain threshold, so if there was a chance this could help me have a natural vaginal birth it would be worth a little discomfort.

The most important factor in my decision though was being assured that I was a good candidate for the version procedure and that the baby would not be in any distress.  Dr. Onyeije, although not a warm and fuzzy doctor, was very knowledgeable and confident in his analysis and this made us feel comfortable with our decision to have the procedure.

Ernesto and I were at Emory Midtown at 545am yesterday morning.  I was shown to a room and changed into a hospital gown and had a heart monitor attached to my tummy for the baby. I was given a shot of terbutaline to relax my uterus and prevent contractions.   

No pain killer was given, and none was  needed.  The procedure was not painful!  

They worked on me for about 25 minutes total.  Although it was not successful, I am so glad that we tried it.  As it turns out, Bebe is just more comfy in the head up position, but at least  I tried everything I could :)  I feel a lot better about having a c-section now.

The following video has been edited down to 4 minutes.  I hope this helps any of you pregnant mom's out there wondering about this procedure like I was just a week ago.  Good luck!




2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say your video/blog helped me feel so much better. I was told yesterday my baby is breech and I was freaking out. I youtubed external cephalic and your video popped up and I felt so much more comfortable with the procedure. Just wanted to say thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am having a version done next Tuesday and hope it is successful-but if not, at least we will know we tried.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails