Friday, January 15, 2010

Help for Haiti

{pic source here...and there are many more}
Unless you never watch the news, you have seen all of the horrible photos of Haiti after the destruction of a 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit on Monday Jan 12. The pictures and video footage are enough to make you cry. While living in Costa Rica I experienced a few earthquakes, but obviously nothing like this. What a tragedy, to say the least. 80% of Haiti already lives in poverty and now with this....wow! I saw on CNN that the average Haitian lives on $2 a day.

I went to bed last night and thought about the chair I just bought on Craigslist. $150. Think about what you buy in a given week, wether at the grocery store, at a restaurant, or frivolous shopping. I think we all can spare something, right? Every dollar adds up. Any amount you can give would make a difference.

There are so many ways you can donate. The easiest way?
You can donate $10 to Haiti relief by texting "HAITI" to 90999 on your cell phone. This is so easy, there is no excuse for you not to be involved. All of this money goes directly to Red Cross relief efforts. As of yesterday, they reported over $5 million dollars had already been collected by the American public just from texting! Isn't that amazing? It's legit, you can see here.

If you would rather donate directly through the Red Cross website, you can do so here.

Another way is through Habitat for Humanity. Habitat has worked with Haiti for over 26 years and will continue with housing efforts. The form is right here.

I know my blog may not reach a TON of people, but I would love to know how many of you are reading and will or have donated.....leave me a comment below! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails