Monday, January 10, 2011

Applying to Art Shows

When applying for juried art shows the competition [especially for jewelry] can be stiff.  Last year I participated in 10 shows.   I did apply to more, but was not accepted.  There could be many reasons for this, but I would guess one reason was my due to my photos.  Yes, you do need to have an interesting, unique product to sell, but like it or not, one of the biggest factors in getting accepted is how the artist presents his/her work to the jury.  The only chance you have, is the 10 or so seconds that your pictures are flashed on the big screen before they move to the next artist.   This, of course, is the reason that you must send in quality pictures.   I think back to some earlier pictures that I submitted and I am surprised that I got in to any shows at all.  For example,
I didn't apply to any shows for a year and a half and felt a bit out of the loop until talking with other participants.

This is what I learned in regards to photos:  Jurors do not want to see pictures that are out of focus, have low lighting, or that have something else in the picture beside the actual artwork (like a prop of some sort).  They would also like to see your art against a graded grey background.

Too bad I didn't learn all these tips earlier, but better late than never.  I recently was put in touch with Kevin Olds, a photographer in Kent Ohio that specializes in working with artists. (Thanks Treff!)  His product photography  has helped many artists impress the judges.   Yes, Im sure there are many qualified photographers right here in Atlanta, but it can be difficult locating the right one without a recommendation.  I had seen Kevin's work and was impressed.   Once I spoke with him over the phone I felt comfortable and confident he was the right guy for the job.  We planned on meeting in Ohio over Christmas to shoot some of my jewelry, but due to circumstances beyond his control, we had to cancel.  I ended up mailing my jewelry to him last week and we worked through the whole process of placement and approving the proofs through email and telephone.  It was wonderfully easy.  Kevin is a true professional and his prices are very reasonable.  I highly recommend his work. 
I'll let you judge for yourself. 
IOLITE LARIAT W/ AMBER CITRINE/SMOKY TOPAZ
EMERALD TEARDROP EARRINGS
CHRYSOPHRASE DROP ON GOLD
TURQUOISE BIB ON GOLD
AGATE GEODE ACCENTED W/APATITE & AMBER CITRINE

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I never thought your old shots were anything to sneeze at (maybe I'm biased, having seen the jewels in person though).... but the new photos are completely breathtaking! Very beautiful VivaCindy, hope you get to do lots more shows this year! (Maybe one or two in San Francisco... Just sayin...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is gorgeous! Thanks so much for finding me and for your comments. It's nice to meet a fellow traveler! :) And thanks for the tree tips too! I'm hoping to go look for one this weekend (once we dig out from all this snow)!

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails