Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Anise Almond Biscotti

When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I frequented a little place called Motzarts Bakery and Piano Cafe.  Their biscotti was the best I had ever tasted.  I became obsessed and stopped in every week.  I never even considered trying to bake it myself.


Years later, I copied a recipe out of a cookbook at the book store and although it took me a few years to actually make it, once I did, I proclaimed it the best alternative to Motzart's.   It is unbelievably simple and perfect to serve to guests with coffee.  (I have made them 2x in the last few weeks!)

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.  You could get creative too and go with different nuts or omit the anise if your not a fan. 

Almond Anise Biscotti 
2 eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup veg. oil
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. crushed anise
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt 
optional:  1 tsp Almond extract 
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped almonds

Heat oven to 350.  Mix eggs, sugar and oil until smooth.   Mix in next 6 ingredients.  Add flour and almonds and mix until a sticky dough forms.  On a floured surface, mix dough with hands and form into a ball.  Cut into two equal pieces.  Form 2 logs no more than one inch thick and place both on a greased cookie sheet. (or put foil down)  Bake 25 minutes and set on a wire rack until cool enough to handle.  Cut on the diagonal into one inch strips.  Lay cut face up and put back in the oven for 4 minutes.  Take out and flip to other side and cook additional 4 minutes.  Let cool on wire rack and store in air tight container.


1 comment:

  1. I will def try this... once I have a free moment... haha maybe in September

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails