Monday, April 27, 2009

My Grandpa, Henry Wellman

After a long and very full life, my grandpa, Henry Wellman, passed away Sunday morning. After 98 years, his body shut down and he died peacefully while sleeping. The funeral is later this week and I am so sorry that I will not be there for it, and especially for my mom, who was such a great daughter to him.
98 years old, and look at he full head of grey hair! He was such a cute old man. He was a father to 7 kids, a grandfather to 30, and a great-grandfather to 29! Wow!

He was the most innovative man, always looking closely at something to tell how it was made and then successfully replicating it himself. His basement is a craftsman's dream, with every tool, machine imaginable. He even had a rock tumbler. He loved to watch squirrels and birds and had a plethora of feeders around his yard. He loved to play the card game euchre with full force, banging his cards on the table with his fist. He was a wine maker. He always wore the best plaid fedora hats.

My most notable memory of my grandpa when I was a kid was that he was a teaser. Teaser of kids, and teaser of dogs. He loved to squeeze right above your knee till you squirm. He loved to give everyone a hard time. (in a good way) He will be missed by his family. RIP Grandpa.

2 comments:

  1. Jo Peterson Gibbs4/28/2009 10:38 PM

    What a beautiful memorial to your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of him reminds me of a few Arnolds I know: playful, inquisitive, resourceful.

    Please give my condolences to your family. I'll be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails