Monday, June 29, 2015

Marcelo Turns TWO with a Dinosaur Party!!!!

A couple years ago I bought a set of dinosaur cookie cutouts at Homegoods. As Marcelo's birthday approached I couldn't really pinpoint a favorite "thing" for him. (A day after the party Ernesto said BUGS! You should have had a bug party! NOW you tell me!?)
He IS facinated with bugs and that would've been a great idea, had you mentioned it BEFORE the party mi amor. I went with the dinosaurs...starting with this cute invitation I found on Etsy.
I asked the designer to add a little picture of the birthday boy, which she did at no extra charge.
My mom flew down on Wednesday night and on Thursday we baked theese cute cookies, the inspiration of the party!
Actually all of the baking was done ahead of time. Im such a planner! (wow, I never get to write that!) I used my moms chocolate zucchini cake recipe for the cupcakes, made this chocolate buttercream frosting and piled it high.
The plastic dinosaurs were from Target and I spray painted them white (toxic?) and warned everyone not to eat them. I bought a cute 8" cake pan and plate then tried a new recipe. A White cake with a raspberry filling/topping. Im so glad I did. It will be my go to white cake recipe from now on. What made it so special? Almond extract in the batter. Oh and a fresh raspberry sauce in the middle and spread on top. It was divine!
I finished off the sides with the chocolate buttercream frosting, and added a bigger dinosaur topper.
Im so dissapointed in my pictures by the way. When the party was starting I quickly snapped pictures with my phone. I need to pull out my big camera for occasions like this. Duh Cindy!? The iphone is amazing, but it can't do everything.
The night before, we hung up the recycled "Feliz Cumpleaños" banner and Marcelo's monthly photos from the first two years of his life.
( I am so glad I took the time to do this. It's great to see the changes. I will actually have a break from the monthly shots until baby #3 arrives. Whew!)
We blew up some balloons and I left a few presents on the table for him to wake up to. Of course big brother woke up first and thought he could open birthday boy's presents and just show him what he got. Ha! I held him off, but Mateo definitely helped with the opening.
Legos and walkie talkies. The ladder was kind of a joint present, but isn't that a win-win? Both boys are excited and happy. (I do that for Ernesto all the time. I buy him a gift that I can enjoy too. Makes sense, right? Surprise Chicago trip!? Win-win!)
My mom was such a big help (per her usual). She filled these little paper cups with treats and helped me set everything out just minutes before the first guests arrived.

It was so cute. (not that you can tell with these shitty pics! ugh!)
My dad ran electric into our shed for the party. (I hope my dad just busted up laughing.)
This project that took a little longer than he expected. (isn't that always the case?) When I finally cried and told him that I didn't need light in the shed as much as I needed shredded meat for the tacos, he promptly heeded the crazy pregnant daughters wishes and shredded all of the meat. THEN he ran to Office Depot to pick up this print of Marcelo for the table.
I love you so much dad! Thanks for your help!! Ernesto has found it very handy having light out there!
After everyone stuffed themselves with tacos de puerco y carne, beans, and several salsas we sang to the birthday boy and cut the cake.
Then it was time for this beast. I was so happy when I found this dino online at Target.
We are earning a reputation for our parties and piñatas. I don't think we will ever be able to have birthday party without one. And why would we? Nothing and I mean NOTHING gets kids excited like a piñata.
Marcelo is really getting better at hitting everything piñatas too. Practice makes perfect.
Of course he still needs a few more parties to catch up to Mateo. This boy is almost a profesional.
All the other kids gave it swing after swing....
This dinosaur was a tough one. Finally the strap broke and the dino fell to the ground. Since the candy didn't fly out, Ernesto stuck his hand in the busted head and threw the candy to the swingers below.
I think everyone had a great time at the party...I know the birthday boy did! Thanks so everyone who came out to celebrate with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails