Monday, January 13, 2014

Merry Christmas Cindy...Love, Craigslist

To say I like Craigslist is an understatement.  Its my never ending thrift store/yard sale.  My time killer/sucker.  Ok, my obsession, my addiction.  I am a frequent buyer and seller.  It's so easy, but there are some rules people.  I can [and will] do a whole post on this, but here are two rules relevant to recent experiences:

#1 Take down your ad after you sell what you are selling!

I have been searching Craigslist for "2 night stands" for a while now.   We need something with storage.  Although we have one long dresser and a [not too big] walk in closet, I would love a few extra drawers for socks and underwear etc.
Due to horrible Craigslist etiquette, I missed out on these two beauties.

















I was so excited to find this set.  The seller was asking $300 which was more than I wanted to pay, but I could've been convinced if they were in good shape.  Even with one missing a piece of hardware, they were perfect. I contacted the seller and they were already sold.  Ugh! Take it down then!

#2 If you tell someone they are available and arrange for them to pick it up, do not tell another buying to come over and let them buy it before the first person gets there.

A couple weeks later I found a set of these for $75.

















Not perfect like the others, but still very cool and functional. Solid wood (possibly burl?!) with cool brass hardware.  Here is how the seller screwed me.  (Pay attention CL sellers out there!)
She answered my email and said they were still available.  It was about 30 minutes away so I asked if we could meet at her work in midtown (5 minutes from my house).  She said that would work.  Thirty minutes later she calls and says someone else is interested them, so she wanted to call me since I spoke with her first.  I said I would pick them up that night and she gave me her address.  Great! This was going swell.
 I was about to leave my house when she called again and said "the other guy" was also on his way to see the nightstands and he will probably arrive before me because he lives closer.  What?!  She let the other guy buy them because he could get to her house sooner that night.  I was so annoyed.  Hello?

The correct CL etiquette?  (as if it's not common sense) You tell the 2nd person that someone is coming to buy them, but if that falls through I will call you.  So. Annoyed.

Oh well.  The search went on.

And right before Christmas, I got lucky.  (as any persistent CL stalkers does)

No, not 2 night stands.  You know when you find something that you didn't even know that you needed, but it turns out being perfect for you?!

Enter Campaign furniture set.

I think this came up under my search of "wood dresser"  (not exactly sure why I was searching that!?)

The seller made a mistake by not mentioning "campaign furniture" or "brass" in the ad, and Im so glad because this beautiful set was still listed after 2 months!!!  I can't believe my luck!
They also didn't mention that it was made by Drexel!  Score!
This was the ad:

Apparently the seller had received many emails about buying individual pieces, but he didn't want to split the set.  I didn't want the whole set either, but I did want the desk and 3 drawer dresser.  Bad.   I figured I could sell off what I didnt want and basically get those two pieces for free. 
Sorry for the bad pictures.
The sellers pictures made the wood seem red-ish which didn't bother me because I knew I would probably paint anyway.  But when Ernesto (and my neighbor Anthony-Thanks!) brought the set home, I was pleasantly surprised at the wood color and graining.  I may just keep some pieces the original wood. (shocker!)
It took both our cars to fit all the pieces.

 Unfortunately with all this new furniture, something had to go.  It was the queen mattress in our guest room.  I texted this picture to my dad.
I had been telling him for months that I was getting rid of it, but I don't think he believed me.
"Why would you get rid of that bed?"
#1 - It was old as hell.  That was the first bed I ever purchased... pre-Ernesto even.
#2 - I need that room to be more than a guest room.  Nothing else really fits in the room with a queen bed and I need somewhere to spread out jewelry and close it off from the boys.

My parents do come visit a lot so I promised them I will have a suitable place for them to sleep when they come.  I really think they will love this new furniture because I will leave a drawer or two open for my dad.  He doesn't like to live out of his suitcase...even for a few days.  (of course we go to San Diego and live out of our suitcase for a month+. ha! different strokes for different folks.)

And now that I have the set in my house, I think I may just keep all 7 pieces! Even though the flash is horrible on the following pic, it shows the actual color a lot better than above.

So there is a 3 drawer dresser with shelves, a large book shelf and a beautiful desk.  All of which will go in our guest room/office.  (the chair that came with is nice, but I don't want it...anyone?) The other two pieces are in Mateo's room.  There is a twin bed frame (really like a tub that you drop the box spring into) and a chest that has 3 drawers on one side.  On the other side the top opens like a toy chest.  Somethin' different.
Mateo has been in his big boy bed for over a month now and it is working out great.  It was a MAJOR process and transition though.  (separate post coming on that!) And of course we had to go through it during our Christmas lighting season. Not fun. 

I have one more score to share!

After Christmas I finally found our double stroller too.  I had been looking for the BOB double stroller off and on since Marcelo was born, but man, these things go quick! I saw this ad up when I was still in Ohio for Christmas and never thought it would still be available, it had been a month since she posted it.  I wrote her anyway, and wouldn't you know, she still had it.  
 Of course I picked it up last week in freezing weather so it sat in my car, but I have been able to take it out the last couple days and it's awesome!  I didn't research double strollers at all.  I just love our single BOB so much that I knew we would stick with BOB for the double.  It is light, goes over curbs with ease and believe it or not I can steer this baby with one hand!
Mateo liked sitting next to his brother and Marcelo seems comfortable.  BOB for the win!!
Another good thing with these BOB's is that the resale value is high.  We still have our single, but eventually we will sell it for more than half of what we paid for it.  Thats a good investment in my book!

What about you guys...any good deals on Craigslist lately??  What are you searching for?  Let me know, maybe I can help:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails